Monday 21 July 2014

The Eyes of Protection.


When I think of protection, I cannot help but think of the protective 'eye' amulets available for sale all over Istanbul, Turkey! Available in all sizes, made from any number of products & able to be purchased at a price tag to suit any wallet!

These  eyes are not just for the tourists though....the need to protect themselves from the evil eye is a very real custom for many peoples of the Middle East & Mediterranean.

They paint it on their houses....

....they buy fancy ones to hang upon upmarket hotels...

...they have modern glass ones above their shop fronts...

....and they even have protective eyes printed onto shopping bags!

Is it any wonder that I wanted to incorporate this well known & well used symbol in a piece of work about protection!!!  Because of the connection with Turkey, I thought that I would double the protective powers & construct the piece in the form inspired by the diamond shaped hangings hung in the tents of various nomadic peoples of Turkey.  Usually coloured these hangings are joined at the corners & sometimes adorned with beads.
  
 I decided that each of my diamond (square) patches would also be a blue eye of protection.


I then contemplated stitching symbols of protection into the back of  diamonds, but decided that that was getting a bit far away from cleaning & the home.  I needed something to bring it back to family life.

The answer came in the form of windows!  I have used the shapes & patterns formed by reflections in windows as a design source before.  Here was another opportunity to use it effectively & with meaning!! Windows are often referred to as the 'eyes' of a home.  They protect us from the elements outside, whilst still allowing us to see & be aware of what's going on out there! Further more, on a fine clear day, windows reflect the sky above, making them appear...BLUE!

It took me many months to get all the diamond eyes made & then...

...back them with the windows.  Whilst constructing the piece I contemplated whether or not to embroider the words "Eye Will Protect' into the sleeve from which the diamonds hung.  Adopting a 'less is more' approach I refrained, preferring instead to let the work speak for itself.

The majority of these pieces were made during a regular Monday morning Craft group that I have been a part of since our children were still in nappies!  This group of women have often been more interested in the consumption of coffee than in practising a craft, but regardless, the aspect we each value the most is the sharing of our lives.  We have had many laughs & a few tears & in the process have helped each other through some 'interesting' times.  It is groups like this that epitomise the concept of 'support' & in doing so, we protect each other from despair .  I felt that being with these wonderful women, added another dimension of protection to "Eye Will Protect You".

*Please respect that the images above are my own & not to be copied without permission.  Thank you.









No comments:

Post a Comment