Sunday 20 July 2014

Beauty from the LAUNDRY

 It was time to contemplate the LAUNDRY!  Yet another room where white tiles prevail!! This time I wanted to look less at the marks, and think deeper about  WHY we clean & what does it all mean!!!!

 Time for another mindmap, where I tried to stretch my thinking.

I came to the conclusion that for this body of work I wanted to focus on protection & hope.  We wear clothes to protect our body from the elements & to modestly protect our privacy from prying eyes! We launder our clothes & our family's clothes in the hopes that we will remove the dirt & stains, & in doing so maintain those garments to protect us effectively for longer.  It is in the process of doing the laundry that we discover tears that need mending, stains that need removing & garments that need replacing!  A load of laundry is a history of events experienced over a recent period of time.

With this body of work I wanted to include pieces of fabric that I had laundered....that had been garments worn, or used in household furnishings, as well as those used in my art practise.



No comments:

Post a Comment