Friday 13 June 2014

Why "The Art Of Cleaning"?

I am sure that I am not the only creative person who would rather be in the studio making something beautiful, than slaving away at the household cleaning! Some people opt NOT to clean, but for the well being & protection of my family & for the maintenance of our home...I choose to clean, relatively frequently!  That doesn't mean I like to do it!

Many years ago, however, I was cleaning the bath tub, when I noticed that the hair caught on the side of the bath was twisted into a beautiful shape.  Being an art student at the time, I pulled out my visual diary to record it.  Ever since then, I have approached cleaning chores as having the potential for unexpected inspiration.

For this exhibition I have concentrated on the bathroom, kitchen and laundry as sources of creative design possibility! Some of those possibilities I share here;

What does this clump of hair on a bathroom tile look like to you?
For me it is a jellyfish calmly floating through the ocean.

Look at the way the water droplets fall on the shower tiles. They make the smooth glossy tiles look rough like pebbledash!

Look at the reflection on these tiles, the shades & lines creating intrigue & a sense of depth.

Detergent & water interacting with fat in the frying pan conjures up imaginings of a moonscape....!

A tea stain at the bottom of a porcelain cup. Tonal shades and irregular rings that don't need to represent anything...they are simply, just beautiful!

Looking down upon dishes on the draining board. A kitchen landscape? Crop circles????? Did you ever consider how many CIRCLES we have in our kitchens?


This tub contains my family's discarded jeans from the past 20 years! Just imagine how many loads of laundry that represents!!!

Do you ever look at your laundry once it is hanging on the line and see...prayer flags? Or foliage on a tree?


This gives you an idea of where my inspiration for this upcoming exhibition has come from. I have let my imagination explore where it will & I look forward to sharing some of those mind-meanderings with you....soon!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment